Roundup: 11 more COVID deaths, phone & internet concerns continue, Bridgewater man’s disappearance ‘suspicious’ say police, recalling hockey history

Terry Greenlaw's "Bystanders" is one of many major productions to film in Nova Scotia recently. Photo: Jessie Redmond

Plus: After a tumultuous few years, Nova Scotia’s film industry bounces back

Nova Scotia’s COVID-19 death toll has jumped again, as health officials report 11 new deaths from Oct. 4 to 10. During the same period, 55 were hospitalized for the disease, with 49 currently in care receiving COVID treatment, including six in ICU.

The World Health Organization reports 417,329 confirmed new COVID cases around the globe in the last 24 hours. So far, the disease is known to have killed at least 6,540,487 people, including 45,394 in Canada and 555 Nova Scotians.

John Lohr. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Phone and internet concerns continue
After Fiona hit Nova Scotia, management at the major telecommunications companies falsely claimed that their phone and internet service was mostly continuing normally, even as reports of widespread outages mounted.

Karen Fraser MacKay’s 86-year-old mother lives in rural Pictou County, and had no service for several days.

“She felt so cut off from the outside world,” MacKay tells the Reporter. “Although we understand the magnitude of the damages from the storm, it certainly was nerve wracking not being able to communicate with her normal contacts. Our mom enjoys watching her shows and the news on TV and normally talks daily with friends or family members to help pass the time and feel connected. The worst part was knowing she didn’t have a phone in case of emergency.”

Yesterday, the provincial government announced new rules that it says will force phone and internet providers to improve preparedness for storms, keep people better informed about service failures, and compensate customers more fairly.

“We need our telecommunications companies to step up and do better,” John Lohr, the minister responsible for the Emergency Management Office, says in a press release. “We will no longer accept the status quo. We need to see significant improvements before the next storm or there will be significant penalties.”

Police investigate missing South Shore man
The RCMP’s major-crimes unit is now investigating the August disappearance of Bridgewater man Barry Albert.

“At this time, we believe the circumstances surrounding (his) disappearance to be suspicious,” Cpl. Guillaume Tremblay says in an email. Police describe Albert, who also goes by the last name Mosher, as 5’9″ and 150 pounds. They say he was last seen on Aug. 21 on Ron Street in Bridgewater.

Keith Corcoran reports for LighthouseNow.

Stuart Cresswell

Nova Scotia’s film industry bounces back
After more than two years of pandemic uncertainty, which followed a storm of funding uncertainty, Nova Scotia’s film scene appears to have bounced back. And while Halifax is the centre of much of the action, it’s a boon for the whole province.

Originally from the U.K., Stuart Cresswell launched Simple Films and then Skye Larke Productions in 2008 in River John, Pictou County. He’s proud to work in a rural setting, employing locals. 

“Now for the first time, the film and TV industry as a whole is being taken seriously in recognizing all the avenues and benefits it brings to Nova Scotia,” he says. “The focus of attention is usually Halifax, and that’s fine, as there has to be a structure around the industry … We shoot all over the province. Indeed, for us there is a bonus for not shooting all the while in (HRM) only.” 

Go behind the scenes with Bruce Bishop in the latest Unravel Halifax cover story.

Recalling hockey history
A hundred years ago, hockey was a different sport, driven more by community pride than dreams of superstardom and million-dollar paydays. Myriad leagues thrived around the Maritimes and for a time, one of the most exciting was Central Nova Scotia’s APC Senior Hockey League.

“It would eventually become the longest-standing league in that part of the province,” says Hugh Townsend in his latest Pictou Advocate column. “With a couple of breaks, the circuit continued through 1956-57 — surviving for 35 years. It had seemed like it could stick around forever.

Read more.

Speak out
Know a community group, good cause, or inspiring local story we should share? Email the editor.

You have ? free views left this month!
Click HERE to login, or HERE to register.

CLOSE

Related Stories

unravelhalifax